Friday, May 30, 2008

Reinventing Malta’s Famous Soap Opera

Do you remember that famous Maltese soap opera ‘Iprokiti’? In English, Hypocrites! People loved it. They would be glued to their TV sets. They would love the innuendos. They would love the suspense. And certainly they would love the hypocrisy!

Well lately we have had a reinvention of the story line of this famous soap opera. It has taken a twist from the traditional family/love affairs emphasis. Now it is much inclined towards local issues and Malta’s most famous past-time – POLITICS.

It is about the MLP leadership battle and its many twists and turns. People are glued to their TV sets. Glued to the internet. And glued to the newspapers. But why all the fuss? Wasn’t it obvious that a civil war was going to erupt till that one person captures the Holy Grail? Does anybody want to be on the losing end? Ofcourse not! Everybody wants to be a winner. Especially after not winning the election, they at least have to reach a milestone this year by winning something!

Well I have been doing my research. The internet is quite a useful tool I might say. All the newspapers are online. You can download all the talk shows on demand on di-ve.com. And YouTube is an unlimited multimedia library. I have considered all contestants. I have given them all a chance. But for some reason, after filtering and filtering through layers of information, one candidate comes up on top. It is quite strange to be honest. Because for some reason all arguments put forward are either for or against this one individual. As if this one person is everybody’s saviour. For others this one person is everybody’s threat.

I have thought this out carefully. And in all truth this one person was not my firm favourite. I too had my thoughts. I too was sceptic. But in this one person all I saw after all these weeks was potential. Potential so big that every time I observe this individual’s every move, for some reason things just tend to get better. Arguments become more enticing and stronger. Enthusiasm levels keep on rising. Deep down you feel a tangible sense of hope. Finally light starts to appear at the end of the tunnel. You start feeling proud that you are part of something that has just started and is going to become bigger.

That person is Joseph Muscat. Sorry for spilling the beans but I will not accept to be branded a hypocrite. I want to speak my mind. I want you dear reader to know where I stand. For the others contestants I am sorry to say that I cannot visualise any such ray of light.

My personal favourite was Evarist but for some reason he has not risen to the occasion as I expected. Dear George I am sorry to say is way past his peak. 2003 was his best year of vintage. Shame he did not take the chance then. Marie-Louise I am sorry to say is a blast from the past. I respect the women but we are in another era which I doubt she can get a grip to. It’s a whole different ball game in 2008.

And our fire brand Michael I only have two words – SHUT UP! Or better borrow a phrase used by the master of sound bites – bite your tongue. Because if Michael really loves the party he shouldn’t be going ballistic in front of the nation. He has portrayed the MLP as a circus. With his attitude, the only person or thing he loves is himself. Yes, you were a joke during your speeches in the mass meetings. Yes, you and your entourage were more than to be desired. And if there was one person who had cliques, it was certainly you. So as they say in Maltese, ‘Hallina Mike’, or better ‘Cut the BS’, because in my books you are becoming an utter disappointment.

One week to go and we will see who will rise from the ashes. Love him or hate him I would go for Joseph. My only reason is summed up in one word – POTENTIAL. For others the magic word is CHANGE. But you have to have potential to be able carry out the change needed. Therefore one man can do it…. Good Luck!

No comments: